POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG Union causes major slow-down : Re: CSG Union causes major slow-down Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:40:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Union causes major slow-down
From: Peter Popov
Date: 20 May 2000 05:05:44
Message: <i1lciskkd7l89lm1gfa3ocom0298vrtu35@4ax.com>
On Sat, 20 May 2000 00:46:43 -0700, "Dave Blandston"
<gra### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>BTW, I should have mentioned that peak memory used is only about 12MB with
>the CSG Union version, and my computer has 128MB RAM. There's no disk
>thrashing going on, but maybe this is a CPU cache issue?

No, not at all. It's related to bounding. Are you using manual
bounding? Is automatic counding on? Most importantly, is union
splitting on? How about removing user bounds (if any)? Are vista and
light buffers on?

What is most probably happening is that for some reason (a bad
combination of settings) POV is checking each ray against all objects
in the scene. As a quick test, try these command line options:

+mb0 +ul +uv +ur +su

If this does not work, read the docs :) especially the chapter about
automatic bounding control and removing user bounds.

HTH

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet